5.14.2008

Al and Jenine

my buddy, Al, from Basho brought in this Howard Schatz portrait book a couple weeks ago and was showing it to Yoshi and I. He was really excited about it saying he wanted to start doing portraits similar to what was in this book. It was all high-key black and white shots of actors and other famous people. Yoshi flipped through it and completely shut Al down. "Ah, these are ok...you should look into Avedon." I agreed and brought in a handful of Richard Avedon books for Al and he really got into them. Saturday we got together at Basho and I showed Al how to do high-key studio lighting. I had a blast. I brought Jenine along to pose for a couple pictures and Basho's book keeper Brandi came as well. I forgot just how much I enjoy doing this. Richard Avedon is the possibly 90% of the reason I shoot mostly large format.


Technical crap: Nikon 450m, B&J 8x10, Arista Ultra 100, Pyrocat HD.

No comments: